The Music Man Foundation has a history of providing support to organizations advocating for positive changes in the arts, whether it be for increased public funding to arts programs, support for policy changes, the conducting or dissemination of new research, or increasing public will in support of the arts. We have partnered with select dedicated organizations working on a regional, statewide, or national level.
Through Strengthening the Sector grants, the Foundation aims to support systemic change via empowering organizations working at the intersection of music, learning, and well-being. Organizations must be able to identify the system it seeks to impact, demonstrate why it is well-positioned to take on this system change, and show evidence of progress toward achieving sustainable solutions. We anticipate grants will support activities such as:
- research and policy analysis that promote the need for arts (specifically music) to change and improve circumstances,
- cross-sector initiatives which cultivate allies and build bridges between the arts and other interest groups,
- advocacy training and tools which build the capacity of arts and cultural leaders to understand and proactively influence issues impacting the arts and community vitality, and/or
- designing solutions which shift the circumstances within a system to promote efficiency and sustainability.
Grant amounts will take into consideration the organizational budget, scope of initiative, and the organization’s alignment with The Music Man Foundation’s mission. Grants will be one-time grants without any commitment made to future funding by the Foundation. However, recipient organizations may reapply after all grant funds are expended and any required reporting has been submitted to the Foundation.
In order to be considered for funding, an organization must:
- Reflect music within the organization’s efforts.
- Operate as a non-profit organization.
- Have at least 2 years of mission-aligned programming.
- Have a service jurisdiction that includes either Los Angeles County, the state of California, or the United States of America. Programs focused on a state that is not California will not be eligible.
- Have had at least one paid employee for a minimum of one year.
- For organizations that have previously received a grant from The Music Man Foundation, the organization must be in good standing with the Foundation before applying for the award.